I am just trying to understand my hair, to learn what works and what doesn't, to experiment, make mistakes, and to embrace my hair in it's entirety..... because Roots Don't Lie




* Images belong to me unless otherwise stated*

Friday, September 30, 2011

"Natural Me": Sabina

         What is your name and where are you from?
My name is Sabina from Nigeria but I currently live in the United States.
How long have you been natural or transitioned?
I have been natural since 2009. As u all will see in my picture I did the “big chop” and went from there.
Tell us a little bit about yourself and where you are in your life  
I am a professional and a student. Professionally I am a Clinical Lab Scientist (a.k.a lab geek)…I love the profession but currently in school working toward my Pharm. D (Doctor of Pharmacy)….I love God, love reading books, love travelling, and love my family dearly..(Bella Joya being one of them…my cousin)….I would one day love to own an N.G.O. to help the less privileged in Nigeria and also to make a difference!!
Why did you decide to go natural?
Initially, going natural was a spur of the moment…Bella Joya and I decided to do the big chop and try the look, I stuck with she, she backed out on me and came back to being natural after a year. Now I just love the look and it’s a lifestyle for me.



What are some of your favorite Hair Products?
Any great conditioner (garnier fructis, Giovanni, Burt bees, suave…just to mention a few)….Also coconut oil, grape seed oil, almond oil, jojoba oil (expensive as heck), Cantu Shea butter, honey,
What is your current hair regimen?
When I do not have braids or a weave in my hair, I shampoo wash and condition it twice a month, and co-wash it the other 2 alternating weekends. After that I apply the hair products I’m feeling at that time, and most off the time put them in 2 strand twists….Then I wear them out in a twist out of a comb out…Sometimes, I get Bella Joya to put them in these ridiculously tiny twists she does and I have that for about a month.
Currently I have braids (kinky twists) in my hair…sometimes I just want my hair to rest from my tugging at it daily.
(Shrinkage is horrible, but for the most part I maintain my length. I noticed that if I twist my hair moist and not dripping wet, I maintain more of my length).
What is the toughest challenge you have had to face with your natural hair?
Toughest challenge…hmm that’s a tough question because for the most part my hair is very soft... (P.S Bella Joya hates me for that…she swears she will chop them off in my sleep…lil wench)…I have no issues I can recall…. :)







Do you foresee any changes to your hair?
Changes…hmm…I really want to lock my hair….summoning up the courage to do it gradually….Going back to relaxed hair…nope...not in the near future….Haircut…I get my hair trimmed from time to time but not anything drastic.
Words of advice for naturals out there.
Hmm….what can I say…Find your balance. Initially you will be a product junky but you will soon find what works for you and you will stick with it. Also look online, check what other have to say…Trial and error really is how you will make it…..Its a beautiful journey and I have never regretted my decision. I absolutely love it.

Where can we find you?
Face book…I don’t have a blog though…L

Lastly, Bella Joya is my lil cousin…she is the little sister I didn’t have…Very down to earth, focused and determined little fella…..Thanks for asking me to be on your blog…or else….(you know what I can do…lol)…but on a serious note, I’m proud of u! Mwuahh!!!


Hope you enjoyed


XOXO


Bella Joya

1 comment: