I am just trying to understand my hair, to learn what works and what doesn't, to experiment, make mistakes, and to embrace my hair in it's entirety..... because Roots Don't Lie




* Images belong to me unless otherwise stated*

Friday, September 9, 2011

"Natural Me": Ify


       ·         What is your name and where are you from?
 I’m Ify from Nigeria but I currently live in the UK. 

·         How long have you been natural or transitioned
I have been ‘natural’ since like 2004 but then there were times in between that I texturized my hair (Bella Joya, you know naw).

·         Tell us a little bit about yourself and where you are in your life
I’m a student (almost a geek) cum singer (well in my mind) cum bag maker/ designer (also in my mind – I’m teaching myself how to make bags anyways). I like to dance as well.  I read a lot of blogs but the owners don’t even know me. Let’s just say I’m a lurker.
I would soo love to sing in a classy bar, maybe even own one. I would like to be an entrepreneur even though I’m majoring in biomedical science and looking to become a researcher for some time (yes I want to be everything)

·         Why did you decide to go natural?
I just like the look of it.

·         What are some of your favorite Hair products
Any conditioner I’m feeling at the time, some oils, Shea butter (ori).  I’ve done henna a few times and I think the results were ok.

·         What is your current hair regimen
Currently I’m in a weave (yes I know what I said). I also have this huge afro half wig that people confuse with my actual afro (bliss – sorry I like to leave my hair alone sometimes. Ok not really, because at night, when the wig is off, I’m there making sure it’s not locking on itself). I wash and condition my hair once a week (when I don't have a weave in). Afterwards, I put in large twists or braids and let it dry. Sometimes, I wash in twists too.
The shrinkage is the devil!!!!!!
I like to have my hair out. Twists make me look … errr not attractive although I do them once in a long while. They end up liking like locks though.


·         What is the toughest challenge you have had to face with your natural hair?
Well even when I had relaxed hair, my hairline was an issue (and no I didn’t do braids that much and still don’t).
 My hair also gets so dry that it makes me cut it a few times a year L. I have so many knots, and my hair just likes to tangle up so much. I have this secret fear that it may turn into locks when I’m not looking hehehehehehe. Not that I don’t like locks, I just don’t want them at the moment.
Maybe if things were not as bad as they are, my hair’ll probably be much bigger than it is at the moment.
I almost forgot, I get so much shrinkage, you think my hair id like 2 inches long when not stretched.

·         Do you foresee any changes to your hair 
Recently I considered a texturizer because my hair was doing sooo well when I had it – even though it was just for a bit (like substantial growth, almost no tangles - I used to do wash ‘n’ go’s then). But I didn’t get one though.

·         Advice for naturals out there.
Just calm down, it’s not that serious. Ok it is; but find YOUR balance and remember to make your choice and accept the result of your choice like a big girl. Also you may want to re evaluate your options every now and then to make sure you are doing what’s best.

·         Where can we find you
Errr the closest thing I have to a blog is some facebook page but it’s not hair related – IjemBags

My youtube page hmmm… maybe later, when I have good stuff up.
Please feel free to include pictures, and stuff

I’m also a ‘rootsdon’tlie’ stalker!!!! Stalkers unite!




 Thanks Ify for being a part of the "Natural Me" series!!!


NB: If you would like to feature in the "Natural Me" series just send an email to rootsdon'tlie with the subject line "Natural Me".


Thanks


XOXO
Bella Joya


3 comments: