I am just trying to understand my hair, to learn what works and what doesn't, to experiment, make mistakes, and to embrace my hair in it's entirety..... because Roots Don't Lie




* Images belong to me unless otherwise stated*

Saturday, March 26, 2011

Products I Currently Own

Hey Guys,
As much as I dread doing this post, because I risk unveiling to you all the extent of my product junkizm......(I am sure that is not a real word), I believe that maybe by sharing I will get feedback on methods other product junkies have used to solve their own junkizm, or  provide a measuring point that allows other fellow junkies refer to and say.. "yeah I'm a lot better than Bella Joya, I got my junkizm under control", or in the worst case this article will just, further encourage, and fuel my spending habits (maybe yours too..lol).

I have been completely natural for about 11 months now, (my nappyversary is coming up in less than a month and I am all sorts of excited) and in this time it is safe to say that I have spent close to.... $$$$$ lets just say a whole lot of cash that my broke self didn't have to spare. when I first started my hair journey I was soo excited..I mean I had watched tons of YouTube videos, read soo many product reviews and I knew all the products I wanted to try out... I started out with this much hair....
but in my mind, my hair was already..

This big.....( in my very wild dreams..)
                                                     not really me
and so I started shopping for hair products like someone who had a lot of hair, when basic, shampoo, conditioner, and a comb will have been enough. Friends would come over to visit, and my bathroom floor just looked like my own personal beauty supply store. The bad thing was that I was constantly getting hair products, using them a few times, and then just abandoning them while still constantly buying more hair products. Whatever free time I had I spent buying more product, watching more YouTube videos which only helped my delusions, and encouraged me to buy more.....sigh... I know that I couldn't really blame anyone besides myself for my junkizm but I had convinced myself that it wasn't a problem, I could stop buying whenever I wanted to...  Oh!!!! how wrong I was.

Eventually when I had to move, I realized that I had way too much hair product, I had a huge box full of just hair stuff, and it took two African elephants to push it..... (I exaggerate but you get my point). I finally acknowledged to myself that I was a hair product junkie, and I would like to think that was a turning point.
I started giving out some hair products to friends and family, and put myself on a budget. Most times that plan went straight out the window, but still progress is progress no matter how small. 
      

This is a full list of all the products I currently have, except for my combs, towels and stuff like that....
  • V05 Conditioners in passion fruit smoothie, and kiwi lime squeeze
  • Creamy Curl Cleanser
  • Yes To Tomatoes conditioner
  • Shea moisture organic black soap balancing conditioner
  • Shea moisture coconut and hibiscus curl enhancing smoothie
  • Shea moisture organic Shea butter infused with coconut and hibiscus
  • yes to Cucumbers Leave in conditioner
  • Jane carter natural hold spray gel
  • Jane carter revitalising leave in conditioner
  • Giovani direct leave in conditioner
  • Pantene Pro-v relaxed & Natural Shampoo
  • Burt's Bee Raspberry & Brazil Nut shampoo
  • Herbal Essence hello hydration shampoo with orchid and coconut milk
  • All natural clover honey
  • Bee Mine "Bee Hold Curly Butter"
  • Apple Cider Vinegar
  • ECO Styler styling gel (Clear)
  • Aloe Vera Juice
  • Aloe Vera Gel
  • My Honey Child "Honey Hair Mask"
  • Oyin hand-made "Whipped Pudding"
  • Giovanni "Protein Hair Infusion"
  • Extra virgin Olive Oil
  • Organic Shea Butter
  • Organic Cocoa Butter
  • Organic mango butter
  • Coconut Oil
  • Grape seed Oil
  • Castor Oil
  • Vegetable Glycerin
  • Sweet Almond Oil
  • Peppermint essential Oil
  • Lavender Essential Oil
  • Jojoba Oil
  • Coconut Milk
  • Coconut cream
  • Hesh "Mehandi Powder" (not pictured below)

I probably only use about 5 of these products consistently... If only I had someone to trade products with... then maybe i could get ride of more of these products.

Hope you enjoyed..please comment, offer suggestions, and any other tips you may have

XOXO
Bella Joya



4 comments:

  1. hhahahahaha! wow your product junkie-izm is outta control!!! I have to come and try some soon. i'm eyeing the jane-carter holding spray at the moment :)
    I would suggest rating the products from fav to least fav and then go to a natural hair meet up to swap or give a newly natural friend. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Sabira for dropping by and leaving a comment. Sounds like a great idea, now I just have to make it to a natural hair meet.. Definitely also have a few newly natural ladies that I can share with... Oh yeah and I am sending you the Jane Carter hold spray just because you are the first person to leave me a comment... I'm excited!!!
    Thanks!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. lmaooo!! i feel the same way , i'll be imagining that i'll style my hair tomorrow , but err tomorrow comes and its still a teeny weeny afro

    ReplyDelete